Raspberry Cake Roll Recipe
This is a really tasty dessert, and it doesn't have as many calories as some other sweets. It's also a lot easier to make than you might think. Give it a try!
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 package (8 ounces) spreadable cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped topping, divided
- 1 pint fresh raspberries, divided
- Spray a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and spray again. Set aside. In large bowl, beat egg whites, lemon juice and salt with electric mixer at low speed until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With whisk or rubber scraper, fold flour and lemon peel, 1/4 cup at a time, into egg white mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched in center. Cool on wire for 5 minutes. Cover with waxed paper, then a kitchen towel and baking sheet or bread board. Invert pan so cake lies flat on towel. Gently peel away waxed paper from top of cake. Beginning with narrow end, roll cake with towel, keeping towel and bottom waxed paper pressed to underside of cake. Place rolled cake on rack to cool.
- Prepare filling by combining cheese spread, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of whipped topping. Gently fold in remaining whipped topping. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use. To fill cake, carefully unroll on flat surface. With spatula, spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups raspberries. Using towel to lift edge of cake, gently roll as before, this time pulling away towel and waxed paper. Place roll, seam side down, on serving platter. Chill. Garnish with remaining raspberries and lemon peel. Serve chilled. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Cake Roll in Country Extra July 1990, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry Cake Roll(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review