Raisin Loaves Recipe
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-1/2 cups raisins
- Melted butter and cinnamon-sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add the eggs, vanilla and lemon juice; beat until smooth. Add raisins.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir dough down. Divide into thirds; place in three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Raisin Loaves(2)
Sort By :
This is an excellent recipe for toast. I have made it many times and have modified it after the first rising by rolling a third of the dough, buttering it, and sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on it. Then rolling it up into a loaf shape, placing in loaf pan, and letting it rise again before baking. It turned out very well. This recipe is great for toast even without raisins, tasting a lot like an English Muffin bread.