I find this dish a comforting reminder of my childhood. The creamy custard center contrasts deliciously with the cinnamon sugar crust. —Ana Paula Cioffi, Hayward, California
Featured In: Travel Around the World in 80 Meals
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Oil for frying
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon until blended. In a large shallow dish, whisk eggs and milk. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, soaking lightly.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Working with a few slices at a time, remove bread from egg mixture, allowing excess to drain, and fry 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Dip warm rabanadas in cinnamon-sugar to coat all sides. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rabanadas (Portuguese French toast) in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p393
Reviews for Rabanadas (Portuguese French Toast)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review