- 2 packages (14-1/2 ounces each) gingerbread cake mix
- 1 package (4.6 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Prepare and bake gingerbread according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for pudding, in a large saucepan, combine pudding mix and milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Combine pumpkin and brown sugar; stir into pudding.
- In a 4-qt. glass serving bowl, crumble one gingerbread cake; gently press down. Top with half of pudding mixture and whipped topping. Repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 25 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
Sort By :
"Made this for a luncheon at work and everyone loved it!"
"This was really good. My changes - I used whipped cream instead of Cool Whip. It's just better to use fresh. I used a 14 oz carton of whipping cream. I also added 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the pumpkin pudding mixture.I also sprinkled a little bit of brandy on the gingerbread layers. It is a trifle, after all. Not a lot, but maybe a tablespoon or 2 on each gingerbread layer.I think this recipe could easily be halved as it makes a ton!"
"Good basic recipe, but definitely needs tweaking. I made the pumpkin filling as written but thought it was too bland. Threw out that filling and started again this time using Jello brand "pumpkin spice" instant pudding which is a seasonal product. I used only 1 can of pure pumpkin, added pumpkin spice and cinnamon, and folded in some of the cool whip. This made the filling taste like a pumpkin mousse. It complemented the gingerbread cake very well."
"I made the pumpkin filling from scratch as well as the whipped topping, I have to say I am impressed...but I cut up my gingerbread and it turned out lovely! I simply couldn't find a container for the little round cakes to fit in, so I improvised. Everyone absolutely adored it~!"
"I made this for a church lunch. Everyone liked it. Now I did add a little bit more brown sugar then called for and also just to make easier on me, I used instant pudding. But it was very yummy. I will make again."