Honey Gingerbread Trifle
My husband's grandma made the most amazing honey gingerbread. It's wonderful all on its own, but when you add it to a trifle, your guests are sure to ask for the recipe. —Tami Kuehl, Loup City, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup honey
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- PUDDING LAYER:
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (3.3 ounces) instant white chocolate pudding mix
- PUMPKIN MOUSSE LAYER:
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pumpkin spice pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat sour cream, honey, egg and oil until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together next 6 ingredients; gradually beat into sour cream mixture. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the pudding layer, whisk milk and white chocolate pudding mix 2 minutes. Let stand until soft-set, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate. For the mousse layer, whisk milk and pumpkin spice pudding mix in another bowl for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Refrigerate.
- To assemble, cut cake into 1-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or other glass serving dish, layer a third of the cake cubes, white chocolate pudding and pumpkin mousse. Repeat layers twice. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or overnight.
Test Kitchen tips