Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 to 3 cups leftover crumbled unfrosted spice cake, muffins or gingerbread
- 2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- Set aside 1/4 cup of cake crumbs for topping. Divide remaining crumbs into four portions; sprinkle one portion into a trifle bowl or 3-qt. serving bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin, pudding mixes and spices; beat until smooth. Spoon half into the serving bowl. Sprinkle with a second portion of crumbs. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; spoon half into bowl.
- Sprinkle with a third portion of crumbs. Top with the remaining pumpkin mixture, then remaining portion of crumbs and whipped cream. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs around the edge of bowl. Garnish with cherries if desired. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 186 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 23, 2016
The flavor of the pudding mix takes over the whole dessert. I was hoping for a pumpkin flavored dessert so was really disappointed. The proportion of the whipped cream layers is too small compared to the intense flavor of the pudding. If I make it again I'll decrease the pudding mix to one box & mix some whipped cream into the pudding layer.
Sep 22, 2016
A nice change of pace from a pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.
Mar 5, 2014
I love to make triffles, serve triffles and eat triffles! This one is delicious and it's nice that you can use gingerbread or spice cake. Such a treat for fall and those holidays. I had an empty bowl return when I took this to a gathering.
Nov 3, 2013
YUMMY! This was very well received at a Progressive Dinner Party. I used a gingerbread cake which being deep golden brown in color some folks thought it was a chocolate dirt cake but quickly learned otherwise! I gave it a little extra zip by making cinnamon-flavored sweetened whipped cream.
Nov 1, 2012
easy to put together make the cake the day b4
Jun 2, 2012
May 20, 2012
This is a very good recipe just the way it is!
May 11, 2012
It looked beautiful and made plenty. I made fresh whipped cream for it. The cake was dry, I thought the cake in a trifle was supposed to be moist.
Dec 15, 2011
I've made this twice now. I still can't get the pretty layers but it tastes awesome!
Nov 23, 2011
I've been making this for Thanksgiving for the past several years, and it's a big hit with my family. It's a great alternative to pie. My teenage son even requests it as his "birthday cake!" I mentioned trying a new recipe this year, and the family had a fit -- so I guess I'll stick with this winner!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.