- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
- In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in mayonnaise until smooth. Add the chicken, rice, celery, peas, pimientos, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with cornflakes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Potluck Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
this is a good recipe. i make it with miracle whip instead of mayo. also i use diced red bell peppers and but if there isn't any on hand i sub green giant nibblet corn since it has that same sort of sweetness as the red bell. not as pretty but the taste is good..
suggest that you use less chicken or make a little extra sauce. using the dark meat of the chicken instead of or with the white meat will also help this dish come out more moist as well.
I wish I had read the reviews prior to making this recipe!!! I saw 4 1/2 stars and thought that rating would suffice. I think this recipe is very, very bland and totally lacks flavor. I even added one cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I am very disappointed!
Didn't really like this recipe.
I followed the recipe per ingredients with the exception of making an additional cup of rice and used red pepper chopped instead of pimentos. I also did an additional 3/4 cup of cornflakes and 2 T of butter.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Casseroles >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >