- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
"I had some thick boneless pork chops in the fridge so I searched TOH. I wanted something I could pop in the oven. These were fantastic. Will definitely make again."
"The very best, bar none! Will make it MANY times more, thanks Bernice."
"With a few little ones running around and being very pregnant this was easy to make and tasted great. Thank you for helping me out Bernice :)"
"I follow this recipe to the tee making a double batch of the gravy. My four picky children all eat this and my even pickier husband usually has seconds. It has become a staple in our monthly food rotations. Something we all look forward to eating. Yummy!!"
"Anyone who tries this recioe and doesn't give it 5 stars is nuts. This awesome!!"