- 2 medium firm pears
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears. Cut 1/4 in. from bottom to level if necessary. Place in a large saucepan; add the water, vanilla, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until pears are almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and cinnamon. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool.
- Drain pears; place on dessert plates. Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p47
Reviews for Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 1, 2016
"This sauce is dark rich and smooth- tastes lovelyThe reason that I gave it 3stars is because the cinnamon bark disintegrated after the cooking process, leaving nasty splinters throughout the sauce which were hard to fish out.Also, I don't think it needs the addition of cinnamon and works just as well without."