- 2 medium firm pears
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears. Cut 1/4 in. from bottom to level if necessary. Place in a large saucepan; add the water, vanilla, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until pears are almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and cinnamon. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool.
- Drain pears; place on dessert plates. Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p47
Reviews for Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review