- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt-free herb and spice seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large Dutch oven, saute chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add rice; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add enough water to the tomato juices to measure 2-1/4 cups. Add tomato juice mixture to pan along with the soy sauce, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in green peppers and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and water chestnuts; heat through. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pepper Chicken and Rice in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p39
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pepper Chicken and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review