Pennsylvania-Style Pork Roast Recipe
Our children wouldn't dream of eating sauerkraut until they tasted it with this tender and juicy pork roast at a family celebration. They devoured it and went back for seconds! Now it's a mainstay in my pork recipe file.
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 8 ounces smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; rub over roast. Place roast fat side up in a Dutch oven. Combine sauerkraut and sugar if desired. Spoon sauerkraut and sausage over and around roast.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Pennsylvania-Style Pork Roast in Country Woman September/October 2002, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pennsylvania-Style Pork Roast(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review