Oktoberfest Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 16 small red potatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope, cut into 16 slices
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Place potatoes in a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with sauerkraut, apples and kielbasa. Sprinkle with brown sugar, caraway seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Skim fat and thicken cooking liquid if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 562 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1290mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 43g protein.
Jan 7, 2016
I made this for our New Years dinner, it was so good. I did use a pork shoulder instead of a loin roast, we just like it better. This is a keeper!!
Oct 10, 2015
After cooking for 3 hrs. I found the Pork and potato, kraut, apple, mix seemed so dry that I used my old faithful chicken broth 1/2 can it seemed to make the difference. I would add it at the beginning next time. Flavor was very good just dry.
Oct 1, 2015
Was so easy and yummy. Made mine in a pressure cooker do 30 min. Was wonderful and tender. I didn't have the apple, will try it next time. I used just half a tap of caraway seeds. Turned out perfect.
Apr 14, 2015
My husband loved this recipe! He said it is the best pork and sauerkraut yet. It is very similar to his mothers recipe, but she only uses pork, brown sugar, & sauerkraut. After reading this recipe, I knew he would love it based on what he grow up with. I also doubled the sauerkraut and covered the meat like other reviewers suggested for moisture and it worked the meat was very moist.
Oct 6, 2014
Loved it! To a single recipe I added double the kraut and I'm glad I did, otherwise it would've been too dry. I think next time I will put the pork tenderloin in the middle so it soaks up more juice.
Oct 6, 2014
Followed recipe and had high hopes based on reviews but very disappointed. Pork was tender but tasteless. Won't make this again
Oct 4, 2014
Wonderful flavors. Easy to prepare and great meal to use for a dinner with family.
Oct 3, 2014
Not sure what I did wrong. The apples disintegrated and the meat was dry. I followed the instructions to the letter.
Jul 12, 2014
Tasted wonderful. Pork was tender and juicy. I placed the pork loin on the bottom of the crockpot and it turned out great that way.
Oct 29, 2013
I made this a month ago and the family loved it. Great flavor and very filling. I am making it again tonight, only this time I will place the pork loin on the bottom to absorb more of the flavors
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.