Clarice Schweitzer of Sun City, Arizona gives peach pie a delightful twist with a nutty layer beneath and atop the sliced fruit. "It's a dessert that always draws compliments!" she reports.
Recommended: Pie Recipes Across America
- 4 cups sliced peeled ripe peaches
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, 1/4 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, nuts and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle a third of the crumbs into pie shell. Add peach mixture; sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 30 minutes or until the peaches are tender and topping is golden brown. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Peach Praline Pie in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p17
Reviews for Peach Praline Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 2, 2013
"I used a large can of peaches..29 oz. and chopped walnuts.I also cut back on the sugar a bit.It turned out very good. Next time I will used fresh peaches."