- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Oven Barbecued Chicken
Sort By :
"Delicious, easy to make, had raves from all family members"
"Delicious. The sauce tastes very good. It is an easy and a quick recipe. I cooked it with bonesless and skinless chicken when we had my in laws here. Everyone from my picky toddler to in laws love it."
"This is the second time I've made this. It's great as is. I used less chicken so I had left over sauce. I used the sauce later in the week to make BBQ shrimp. I sautéed onions, and added it to sauce and shrimp."
"I followed the recipe exactly as written and it tasted delicious! My husband, not normally a huge fan of chicken, ate 4 pieces. I would make the sauce for pork too. A good dinner to just set in the oven and have time to do something else while it cooks."
"I used boneless skinless thighs and it turned out great!"