“Add extra nutrition to fiber-rich oatmeal by adding chopped apple with the peel and chopped almonds. My two boys demand seconds!” At 1-1/2 cups per serving, it's hearty and filling; and at zero cholesterol, what's not to love? Danielle Pepa - Elgin, Illinois
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Maple syrup and/or fat-free milk, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Add the apples, oats and salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with almonds. Serve with maple syrup and/or milk if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Oh-So-Good Oatmeal in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p12
Reviews for Oh-So-Good Oatmeal
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review