- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, onion and green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups fully cooked salmon chunks or 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, flaked, bones and skin removed
- In a large saucepan, saute celery, onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until the vegetables are tender. Add broth, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and dill; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are nearly tender. Stir in the corn, cream and salmon. Simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Northwest Salmon Chowder
"This is my go-to salmon chowder recipe!!! I do doctor it up a bit, however... I use baked fresh salmon, 2 TSP dill, an extra cup each of broth and potatoes, i use whole milk instead of half and half (i have kids, so that's what's on hand,) 3 cloves of garlic....aaaand voila!!!! Everytime I make it, I have to invite my mother or she'd be upset! Haha VERY yum!"
"This is THE best seafood chowder I've ever had. I did double the onioin and garlic and dil, plus added 1/4t. of cayenne pepper because we are spicy people. :) Thanks for a great recipe!"
"I used fresh salmon. This is an excellent recipe! I'll be making it again."
"This was absolutely fabulous! My husband couldn't say enough good about how wonderful it taste."
"My family loved this, even my son who doesn't care for fish. I cooked 2 fresh salmon filets for this and used a carton of chicken stock with 2 cups of water. I have a big crew to feed."
"This is a great salmon recipe. I did add white pepper, 1/4 c. clam broth, tarragon-dash, fresh dill from my garden and 1/4 c, milk. I used my hand-stick blender to thicken with some boiled potatoes. I am happy that myi husband does not like fresh cooked salmon, only canned. Enjoyed the soup myself."
"simple hearty and healthy. I substituted mushroom chunks for potatos for my low carb wife and it came out wonderfully!"
"Husband enjoyed soup and complimented recipe . I enjoyed, but may next time use fresh fish versus the canned salmon we had. Love the dill, and also mashed the potato up to give a heartier and creamier texture (as mentioned below.) Will make again!"