New Orleans Gumbo Recipe
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 pound uncooked Daily Chef Uncooked Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in the rice, celery, onion and garlic. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the tomatoes, chicken, kielbasa, thyme, pepper, bay leaves and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into chicken mixture. Stir in shrimp and green pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and gumbo is thickened. Discard bay leaves.
- Remove rice from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes; stir in parsley. Serve with gumbo. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for New Orleans Gumbo(9)
Sort By :
This was pretty good, but I missed the okra, which is common in gumbo recipes. It could always be added, or course. It seemed like it would be a pain to prepare the rice separately, but it really wasn't. Very tasty, but not my all-time favorite gumbo recipe.
I cooked this for 3 pre-teens and 2 of them are VERY picky eaters....they all went back for more!
I made this for dinner tonight and it was awesome! It was very easy to prepare and the flavor was great! This is a keeper.
We sauted the veggies and then added the rice and sauted; then we added the water and cooked the rice until done. Left out the sausage and shrimp due to cost and thyme and parsley due to dislike. Used a pasilla pepper instead of a green pepper because that was what was on sale.
We loved this gumbo recipe! I cooked the vegetables with the rest of the gumbo and served it over plain white rice. I also didn't thicken it - it was delicious!!
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >