Mushroom Barley Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- In a small skillet, saute barley and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in the mushrooms, almonds, soup mix and parsley. Add 3 cups broth.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender, adding more broth if needed. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Mushroom Barley Casserole(2)
Sort By :
Great alternative for a side dish like rice pilaf. It's a keeper, but beware: being high in fiber, it caused excess gas for both me and my husband.
I made this recipe for a party/pot luck gathering recently. It was a huge hit with barely enough leftovers! One person who doesn't even like mushrooms loved this dish and asked for the recipe. Quick, easy, healthy, and inexpensive to make -- this recipe is awesome!