- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large kettle, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to make a smooth paste. Gradually add water, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, celery, potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cream and Parmesan cheese; heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Mushroom and Potato Chowder
Sort By :
"Delicious! However, I thought it could've been a little thicker and had a little more potato. The only change I made to the recipe was to use chicken broth instead of water (and reduced the salt to make up for salt in the broth). With minor tweeks, will no doubt become one of our favorites!"
"If I had've been served this at a high-end restaurant I would've been thrilled. I chopped up 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 3 red potatoes with skin on and I added 6 cups of vegetable broth and 1 cup of water. I also used non fat half and half. I thickened it more with cornstarch (about 5 tablespoons). This was SO good. The entire family raved on about it! This is a definite keeper!!"
"very good, will make again."
"This is soup is delicious! For health reasons we skipped the salt, used low-sodium chicken broth in place of half of the water and used fat-free half-and-half and it was still fantastic!"
"Delicious! Would give it more than 5 stars if possible."