Mocha Butter Cream Yule Log Recipe
- 5 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- MOCHA BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon strong brewed coffee
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Chopped nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and light-colored. Add flour and cocoa, beating on low speed. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. mix until no streaks of white remaining.
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; line with waxed paper, and grease and flour paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cover with waxed paper and cool completely on wire rack.
- Remove paper; invert cake onto an 18-in. long piece of waxed paper dusted with confectioners' sugar. Trim edges from all four sides of cake.
- For filling, combine flour and milk in a saucepan. Cook over low heat; stirring until thick. Cool. In a bowl, cream sugar, butter and vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat until fluffy. Fold in walnuts if desired. Spread over cake; roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from one short end.
- For frosting, beat butter until fluffy in a small bowl. Beat in sugar, cocoa and coffee. Spread over cake, using a fork to create a bark-like effect. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and nuts if desired. Yield: 14-18 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mocha Butter Cream Yule Log
Sort By :
"The final product was okay but I wouldn't make it again. The cake part tasted too much like eggs and not chocolate. I added 1 1/2 more cups of powdered sugar to the butter cream frosting as it was too buttery tasting."
"I did a lot of recipe searching for a yule log this year, and printed this one out for its filling, which ended up being disgusting! I threw it all out and made a basic butter-cream, instead. I didn't use this recipe for the cake (too plain) or the frosting (sounds like it will be too thin and weakly flavored). Totally not worth your time. Use a different recipe."
"A beautiful start of a new family tradition!"