Gingerbread Yule Log
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional ground cinnamon, optional
- Place egg whites in a bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment or waxed paper. In a small bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thickened, about 3 minutes. Beat in molasses and melted butter.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Fold in flour mixture. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 9-12 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a chilled large bowl, combine the first five filling ingredients; beat until soft peaks form. Unroll cake; spread half of the filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel. Place on a platter, seam side down. Spread remaining filling over cake. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 238 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 5, 2014
Always a hit. So easy too.
Dec 22, 2011
Love these Log cakes. There great for the Holidays. I am going to try the log that loks like areal log. With the big trunks on it.Jacque CopelandVirginia Beach, Va.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.