Gingerbread Christmas Cards
Total TimePrep: 2 hours + standing Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/3 cups molasses
- 2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ROYAL ICING AND DECORATIONS:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- Edible food writing pens, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring brown sugar and molasses just to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Stir in eggs until blended. Combine the remaining dough ingredients; stir into brown sugar mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 325°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3x5-in. rectangle-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until set, about 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing: In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and water; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add additional water as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Keep icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- To decorate: Frost cookies and let dry completely. Decorate cookies as desired using royal edible pens.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 472 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Tree in Holiday Cookies & Candies 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.