Ugly Sweater Cookies
Perhaps the most amazing thing about Ugly Sweater Cookies is how cute they are. Try these classic gingerbreads on for size. —Christy Thelen, Kellogg, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- ROYAL ICING:
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Food coloring and assorted sprinkles, optional
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half; shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate, covered, until firm enough to roll, 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-1/2-in. sweater-shaped cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake cookies until edges are firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Place first five icing ingredients in a small bowl; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Thin with cream to desired consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring.
- Pipe onto cookies and decorate as desired. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.) Let cookies stand at room temperature several hours or until frosting is dry and firm.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 113 calories, 2g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Ugly Sweater Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018