Mocha Yule Log
Total TimePrep: 65 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment paper; grease paper. Sift flour, cocoa and salt together twice. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in flour mixture.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 12-15 minutes (do not overbake). Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a tea towel dusted lightly with cocoa. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a bowl, dissolve coffee granules in cream; beat until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel; trim ends. Transfer to a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients until smooth. Spread over cake. Using a fork, make lines in frosting to resemble tree bark. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 341 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2018
I made this for dessert for Christmas dinner and everyone LOVED it. I used espresso powder instead of coffee granules in the filling and the taste was so rich and delicious. I am going to use the filling recipe to make filled cupcakes with a ganache topping. Thanks for the easy, beautiful and delicious recipe.
Dec 27, 2017
This cake turned out just amazing and even thought the list of ingredients was longer than my usual max. I gave it a try and was so pleased with the results. The sponge was amazing and moist, the filling was just to die for and the icing was superb! I followed the directions which were very easy and I think my cake came out prettier than the one pictured with the recipe. It was my first rolled cake and it wasn't the least bit intimidating! It was actually a fun adventure with a very happy ending. The combination of flavors was ingenious! SO GOOD!!!
Feb 18, 2017
I simply cannot say enough about how stunning, achievable and wonderfully delicious this recipe was. Chocolatey, light and tender cake swaddled in layers of mocha frosting with that perfect balance of fudgey-ness, smoothness and firmness -- it won over us all, even those who aren't that enthused over coffee. This recipe captivated us with its presentation - which was so easy assemble - and the overwhelming perfection of flavor and texture.
Dec 28, 2015
I did it! I'm so proud of myself! I made this for Christmas, and I live at 4,500 feet and it still worked. It was spongy creamy yummness. StefaniBuhajla, your daughter was my inspiration. And, I will definitely be making this again next year!
Oct 25, 2015
My 17 year old daughter wanted to try her hand at a Yule log for our family celebration. It was a challenge for someone new to baking but, she followed the recipe exactly and it was fantastic! I can't tell you how much everyone raved about it. I wish we could post pictures here because it wasn't just scrumptious, it was gorgeous! I have the picture of my daughter's creation using this recipe over at pinterest! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/47921183511113452/
Dec 29, 2014
I have never rated a recipe before, but I made an account just to do that. It is so good! It came out picture perfect and it was delicious. There is literally nothing I would change. I made meringue cookie mushrooms to go on top to make it look cute!
Dec 25, 2014
EXCELLENT!!!!!! My Belgian husband and I loved this and I just added this to my recipe box. Definitely my "go to" cake recipe for Xmas. Thank you
Jan 21, 2014
One word - YUMMY. Made for dessert for our family Christmas dinner and everyone loved it. Definitely a keeper.
Dec 1, 2013
I made this Yule log twice, the first time was to make sure it turned out/tasted good. It did and was. So the second time I made this was for thanksgiving dessert. I doubled the frosting the first time because I didn't want to run out-that was not needed, because I had plenty of frosting. The second time I made it-I doubled the mocha filling-which is the best part! The log was a bit flatter-due to the extra filling, but once iced it held together well! This dessert is pretty and tastes delish, everyone who tried it really enjoyed it too!
Jan 21, 2013
This was a great recipe, got rave reviews from everyone.