- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter until blended. Spoon into 24 greased muffin cups. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; spoon pineapple into prepared cups. Place a cherry half cut side down in the center of each.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and reserved pineapple juice. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Spoon over pineapple, filling each cup three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Mini Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
"Very good, and really like the individual servings... Would be great to take camping. I do think next time I will be sure and have whipped topping on hand though."
"Oh my gosh, are these good!!!! Next time, I'm going to wait and put the cherries on after I take them out of the pan, just to make them prettier. Mine didn't quite look like the picture, but oh are they good!!!!!"
"I like the fact that this recipe makes individual servings. It is perfect for barbecues and picnics. I used whole pineapple rings. They were just a little too big to it in the muffin cups, so I removed a piece from each ring to fit into the muffin cups. April 20th is National Upside Down cake Day."
"Took these to a church fundraiser and everyone wants the recipe. Easy to make too."
"I haven't tried it yet but very excited to try this recipe - however, I have a question. As you say the recipe is diabetic friendly - could you use the sugar free cake mix? I think I will try it with that type of mix to assist in lowering the sugar. Any suggestions?"
"Haven't made it but looks good!! Nice presentation! @ ylns493p, muffin tins and cupcake tins are the same thing, but do come in a variety of sizes; this recipe uses the standard size (not mini or jumbo). bake away!!"
"These mini pineapple upside-down cakes really look good and I'm looking forward to making them. I do have one question before I make them, and that is: What exactly do you mean by Muffin Pans? What is the difference between cupcake tins and muffin cups in for this recipe? Thank You!"
"These tasted great and looked pretty too!!!Very moist and nice size."
"I made these for a dinner with my sweeties family and they were a HUGE hit! I also made a few with diced banana's and I LOVED those!"