- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1 medium lime, cut into four wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, jalapenos, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- If grilling the chicken, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165°.
- Top with bacon and cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa; squeeze lime wedges over top. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Mexicali Chicken
"Very good. I marinated the chicken breast in a little EVOO along with the taco seasoning which helps keep the breast moist while it cooks."
"Salsa part of this recipe was good but the chicken itself was bland. I have better chicken receipes so not sure I'll be making this one again."
"Awesome chicken dish. I was actually quite disappointed to be full! With a little extra tomato and lime juice, as well as cilantro, the salsa gives a surprisingly spicy kick. Great recipe, can't wait to try it again."
"Love this recipe! Perfect summer dish with great flavor!"
Sounds great, thank you for all the reviews!"