- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, parsley, bouillon, oregano, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, green beans and macaroni; cover and simmer 8-10 minutes longer or until the vegetables and macaroni are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Lightened-Up Pasta Fagioli Soup
"Love this soup! There's just the two of us and this makes enough that I can freeze some."
"We love this soup!! We have this soup all the time. Thanks for sharing!"
"This is a hearty flavorful soup. Will definitely make it again. Saved the recipe as posted."
"Our whole family really loves this soup which makes this recipe five stars for me (my kids are 4 and 7 and we are all rarely on the same page at dinner time). . If you are going to use ground turkey, make sure to use ground turkey breast otherwise the fat content is higher than if you use lean ground beef. I'm not sure why some reviewers think it's bland. The veggies really stand out in this soup. I would highly recommend using fresh green beans over frozen and I always add extra broth b/c the pasta soaks up a lot of the liquid and our family likes it brothy. Top it with parmesan, serve it with bread and yum. Great recipe!"
"I altered this by using ground beef instead of turkey and my family really liked it. Next time I will leave out the frozen green beans, those we hated. Even my picky 8 year old daughter ate this. Will be making again!!!"