- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook linguine according to package directions, adding peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk egg, milk, red pepper, pepper flakes and pepper until blended; cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and bacon; remove from heat.
- Drain linguine; return to pot. Add sauce and toss to coat. Serve with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Light Linguine Carbonara
Sort By :
"This is an easy, tasty dish that I prepared from start to table in about 30--perhaps 45--minutes (this included the prep of dicing the pepper and cooking the bacon). That alone pleased me greatly. The recipe is very mild; I would have liked for it to have a little more flavor. Next time, I'll toss in a little bit of onion and garlic to fill out the flavor a little bit. I'll certainly be making it again."
"Although I would usually use heavy cream, I decided to give your recipe a try and found it surprisingly good."
"This was absolutely delicious. Surprisingly very easy to make. It was light and would pair wonderful with a green salad."
"This was very easy to make and then as it sat the flavors mixed together and it got better and better with each bite! One tip though...remember not to cook the egg mixture at too high a temp because you'll begin to get scrambled eggs!!"