We're a busy family. When we need to rush off to an evening sporting event or meeting, I prepare this pasta toss along with breadsticks or garlic toast for a quick light dinner.—Mary Jo Miller, Mansfield, Ohio
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook linguine according to package directions, adding peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk egg, milk, red pepper, pepper flakes and pepper until blended; cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and bacon; remove from heat.
- Drain linguine; return to pot. Add sauce and toss to coat. Serve with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Light Linguine Carbonara in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p31
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Light Linguine Carbonara
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review