Authentic Pasta Carbonara
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti or linguine
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving pasta water; keep pasta warm. In same pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Add peas; cook until just heated through.
- Add pasta to pot; toss to combine. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding enough reserved pasta water for sauce to reach desired consistency. If desired, serve with additional cheese.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 353 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 29, 2017
I cooked the pasta in one pot and the bacon in another skillet at the same time to save time, and it seemed to work OK. I added the peas per the recipe, then drained the pasta, saving the water, and put it and the bacon and peas all back in the larger pot. I then followed the rest of the recipe, except I left out the peel and parsley since I didn't have it on hand. It was really enjoyable and overall pretty easy.