Authentic Pasta Carbonara
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti or linguine
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving pasta water; keep pasta warm. In same pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Add peas; cook until just heated through.
- Add pasta to pot; toss to combine. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding enough reserved pasta water for sauce to reach desired consistency. If desired, serve with additional cheese.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 353 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 12, 2019
Dear, you learned nothing in Tuscany as many other readers acknowledge. "Vera Carbonara" does not have peas, lemon juice or peel, maybe you can sub bacon for guanciale in US but that's where it stops. Choose another recipe or profession! And don't say anymore you did an internship in Toscana (maybe Firenze) because you shame us!
May 11, 2019
Real carbonara needs pancetta and not bacon. No lemon or lemon peel. You need pasta, eggs, parsley, parmigiana cheese or pecorino romano and 4 oz heavt cream with lots of pepper. That is where the Carbonaro part comes in. The pepper looks like small flecks of carbon. Ate tons of this in Italy and never once was their a pea in it.
Jun 21, 2018
Tried tonight and thought it was decent but not much flavor. Tried with ham because that’s what I had on hand but other than that followed recipe
Jun 4, 2018
Authentic? Oh my God!Bacon strips? Frozen peas? Parsley? Parmigiano Reggiano? Lemon juice? Lemon peel?Just call your pasta invention but please, calling this dish an authentic carbonara is a crime!
May 3, 2018
Excellent!!! I followed the directions just as written and it turned out really good. I have always used cream when making a Carbonara dish but this was a pleasant change. Quick and easy which is always nice.
Feb 6, 2018
This is a filling dish and so quick to put together.
Jun 29, 2017
I cooked the pasta in one pot and the bacon in another skillet at the same time to save time, and it seemed to work OK. I added the peas per the recipe, then drained the pasta, saving the water, and put it and the bacon and peas all back in the larger pot. I then followed the rest of the recipe, except I left out the peel and parsley since I didn't have it on hand. It was really enjoyable and overall pretty easy.