Authentic Pasta Carbonara
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti or linguine
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving pasta water; keep pasta warm. In same pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Add peas; cook until just heated through.
- Add pasta to pot; toss to combine. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding enough reserved pasta water for sauce to reach desired consistency. If desired, serve with additional cheese.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 353 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Sep 26, 2019
Someone in Tuscany lied to you. No peas or lemon in traditional carbonara. It was initially created during WWII, and the point was that all you needed was cured meat, eggs, pasta, garlic, and cheese. The end. Sorry.
Jun 21, 2018
Tried tonight and thought it was decent but not much flavor. Tried with ham because that’s what I had on hand but other than that followed recipe
May 3, 2018
Excellent!!! I followed the directions just as written and it turned out really good. I have always used cream when making a Carbonara dish but this was a pleasant change. Quick and easy which is always nice.
Feb 6, 2018
This is a filling dish and so quick to put together.
Jun 29, 2017
I cooked the pasta in one pot and the bacon in another skillet at the same time to save time, and it seemed to work OK. I added the peas per the recipe, then drained the pasta, saving the water, and put it and the bacon and peas all back in the larger pot. I then followed the rest of the recipe, except I left out the peel and parsley since I didn't have it on hand. It was really enjoyable and overall pretty easy.