- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- LEMON CURD:
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #24 star tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 1-in. circles 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Pipe once around the base of each shell for sides.
- Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, spoon lemon curd into the center of cookies. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Pie Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p127
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Pie Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 8, 2014
LOVE these !!!!!!!! Yummy !! I eat gluten free and this is like having lemon meringue pie. Will make MANY more times !!! I want to make a key lime version !!