- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) lemon pie filling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drop pie filling by teaspoonfuls over batter.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Crumb Cake
Sort By :
"Followed exactly and was pleased"
"Awesome cake! I followed the recipe as it is posted. I used Wildtree's Lip smackin` lemon filling. Worked out very well! Will definitely make again!"
"I made this exactly as called for and served just slightly still warm with lemon sorbet and it was a "huge" hit. Nothing left."
"I used 2 C all-purpose flour + 1 C cake flour to address previous comments about density. Result was somewhat spongy and held filling well. I was careful to gradually add buttermilk mixture, and not over-beat batter. As murfsgurl (5/10/11) suggested, I added lemon zest and substituted lemon extract for vanilla. I'm still tweaking the crumb topping, but this was pantry perfect for our family. It made for a wonderful breakfast the next morning with coffee."
"make half of the cake batter. Too much when I made it. Though still very good!"