Cooling lemon and aromatic rosemary make these butter cookies stand out at the holidays. I use them to punch up the cookie trays for potlucks or as gifts.—Elizabeth Hokanson, Arborg, MB
Recommended: 84 Lemon Recipes from Tart to Sweet
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon peel. In a large bowl, beat butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, rosemary and remaining lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness with bottom of a glass. Sprinkle tops of cookies with remaining sugar mixture. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Freeze option: Freeze shaped balls of dough on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. Prepare and bake cookies as directed. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon & Rosemary Butter Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p44
Reviews forLemon & Rosemary Butter Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review