Lemon & Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, rosemary and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into two 12-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 31 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 3, 2017
I plan on making these today but not sure if I'll have time to bake them. Can I leave the cookie dough in the freezer until I'm ready to use it and then partially unthaw it?
Dec 18, 2014
Worst recipe I have ever tried. I used the correct amounts of all the ingredients, froze the dough, used the correct temperature. The cookies came out flat, undercooked, and fell apart into crumbs.
Dec 7, 2014
These made about 5 dozen cookies for me. They were wonderful. Very delicate. The rosemary was subtle, and the lemon flavor was a winner.
Aug 17, 2014
Aug 2, 2013
Made with real butter, but I must have cut them thinner because I ended up with 14 dozen. The thinner cookies baked for 6 minutes and then cooled on the sheet for 2 minutes. Love the zest in these.The calorie count is probably correct because each cookie is about the size of a half-dollar coin.
Dec 22, 2012
Interesting and Excellent! As for the calorie count, myrecipes.com has a similar recipe that lists 115 calories per cookie, but it makes one-third the number. Their cookies are 1-1/2 inches in diameter and have a glaze made of powdered sugar and lemon juice on top. I like the increased rosemary in these!
Nov 22, 2012
VERY nice! Making these to add to a bottle of wine for Christmas gifts!
Aug 1, 2012
Very good shortbread cookie. I did not get 8 dozen cookies from this recipe though.
Jul 21, 2012
Does anyone else think the calorie count for the cookie might be a typo?
Jul 19, 2012
I made this with margarine in case we didnt like it. They are awesome...............so next time butter. Great grandkids cookie !!!