It's tradition for my family to get together on Thanksgiving weekend and bake these spice-filled treats. The recipe came from my great-grandmother. —Esther Kempker, Jefferson City, Missouri
Featured In: 15 Recipe Ideas for Oktoberfest
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cardamom and cloves
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup candied lemon peel
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel
- 3 tablespoons candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses, buttermilk and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice, cardamom and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in walnuts.
- Place raisins, dates, lemon peel, coconut, orange peel and pineapple in a food processor; pulse until chopped. Stir into batter; press into prepared pan. Bake 25-28 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar. Spread over warm bars. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Lebkuchen in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p65
Reviews for Lebkuchen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 27, 2014
"I have been looking for this original recipe for a very long time. Thanks for sharing. It is delicious."