Classic Tres Leches Cake
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Optional: Sliced fresh strawberries and dulce de leche
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Meanwhile, line bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with parchment; grease the paper.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in flour, a third at a time.
- Add salt to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a third of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Gently spread into prepared pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place cake on a rimmed serving plate. Poke holes in top with a skewer. In a small bowl, mix cream, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and extracts; brush slowly over cake. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
- For topping, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until peaks form. Spread over top of cake. If desired, top with strawberries and dulce de leche just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 392 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 26, 2018
I kept reading the recipe, but when do you add the milks? To the egg yolks after they are beaten? This cake sounds different in that it uses three different milks.
Sep 30, 2016
So delicious doesn't need changed at all!!