Lucky Leprechaun Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups Royal Icing
- Assorted paste food coloring
- Green shimmer dust or edible glitter, optional
- Green shamrock sprinkles, optional
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. For leprechauns, cut out dough with lightly floured 5-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter. If desired, trim leprechaun's body for a thinner shape.
- For each hat, cut a 1-1/2-in. square and a 1-3/4x1/4-in. brim from dough scraps. Place leprechauns 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Place hat squares and brims above heads, shaping gently to touch the heads.
- Bake 10-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before carefully removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Tint small amounts of Royal Icing red, yellow and black. Leave a small amount plain. Tint remaining icing green and orange. Frost leprechauns; decorate with shimmer dust and shamrock sprinkles if desired. For eyes, attach miniature chocolate chips with plain frosting.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 17, 2010
it tasted amazing i cant wait to make it adain
Mar 14, 2010
I took them to work and eveyone one jusy love with coffee.Mikki Shell Knob
Mar 9, 2010
These cookies were amazing for the kids to make the dough was just right it didnt crumble nor it wasnt ever sticky. I will use this cookie recipe for all my holiday cookies or just for fun when i want to make cookies for myself thanks again taste of home ive really enjoyed all the recipes you have sent to me!!!!