- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and potatoes in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the kale, broth, tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, paprika, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until kale is tender.
- Cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender, process 3 cups soup until smooth. Return to pan; add beans and heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Kale & Bean Soup
Sort By :
"This was excellent. My husband wants me to make it when our daughters and their families come to visit"
"This is such a delicious and tasty soup. My kids and husband loved it. I used chicken broth instead of the vegetable broth and it was great."
"This soup was SO good! I'll definitely be making it again!"
"Oh Beth, you're my sister from a different mister. This is my 'go to' pick me up soup recipe. Kale and white beans just 'go together'. Like cabbage and tomatoes lol. Anyway, this is the best soup base and I change it up now and then by adding some Penzey's Turkish seasoning or Penzey's Sweet or Smokey Paprika. I would like to add that lemon zest and kale also go well together and I often use a teaspoon of lemon zest to this base recipe . Sometimes the most subtle addition adds a whole new dimension. Thank you for sharing.....I was surprised to find 'my secret soup recipe' here. ;)"
"This soup was simply awesome. I did not expect the gourmet result from a soup so very simple to make. Just the smell as it simmered told me it was going to be great soup. I did also add a small can of Rotel tomatoes for a punch and 2 stalks of celery, but I will say this is one of the heartiest, vegan soups I have ever made and it will now be on my favorite list."