Chock-full of veggies, this soup soothes both the body and the spirit. The kale is packed with nutrients, including omega-3s, and the beans add a natural creaminess. —Beth Sollars, Delray Beach, Florida
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and potatoes in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the kale, broth, tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, paprika, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until kale is tender.
- Cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender, process 3 cups soup until smooth. Return to pan; add beans and heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Kale & Bean Soup in Country Woman February/March 2012, p43
Reviews for Kale & Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review