Hot Italian Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen Italian vegetables
- 3/4 cup julienned green, sweet red and/or yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain sausage; add to soup and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hot Italian Sausage Soup(11)
Sort By :
I've been making this soup since it was first printed! I also tweeked it a bit..I had a small can of V-8 to make it more juicy. I add cooked acini de pepi pasta at serving time. Fast and fantastic. Thanks, Dan!
I, too added twice as much tomato sauce, added cookes small ditai whole wheat pasta and doubled the recipe. Very satisfying---tasted like it cooked all day!! A definite keeper!!
Gommy of 5 (and "pending")
I used mild sausage, in place of hot sausage, and it turned out just the same. I also pretty much made my own tomato sauce, while cooking the vegetables, since I was out of store-bought sauce. I added parmesan cheese, white sugar, olive oil, and salt to a 100+ ounce can (I tripled the recipe) of tomato juice and whole tomatoes, which I chopped up. It was a good dish, judging based on my family members? complaints that they ate too much for dinner. NOTE: "julienned" peppers are pretty much just sliced up peppers (in case anyone was wondering, like I was ;).
This is just soooo tasty, and excellent on a cold evening! Also versatile-----you really can use just about any type of sausage: hot or mild Italian, turkey, beef , pork or smoked Kielbasa. Can be made in a crock pot ( cook your sausage first). Also freezes well. I guarantee you will love this soup!