Homemade Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 10- to 12-pound turkey)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot; add the water, onion, salt and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove carcass; cool. Strain broth and skim fat. Discard onion and bay leaves. Return broth to the pan. Add the carrots, rice, celery and chopped onion; cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove turkey from bones; discard bones and cut turkey into bite-size pieces. Add turkey and cream soup to broth; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Homemade Turkey Soup
Sort By :
"This was good, but adding a CAN of cream of anything soup seems to violate any sense of "healthy." You don' t need it. Either add a few tablespoons flour to the veggie mixture, that I cooked for about five minutes in some butter or olive oil, before adding my broth, or if the rice doesn't thicken enough to your liking, pull out a 1/4 cup broth and mix a few tablespoons of flour with the broth until you have a creamy texture and then put it all back into the soup and simmer until the entire soup thickens. Do again if still not "creamy" enough. Also to the poor woman who had a difficult time removing the fat, just boil the carcass either early in the day or the day before and then chill it. The fat will harden and float to the top. No room in the refrigerator to cool? Where I live, you just put the pot outside and the temp outside will harden the fat in no time! I love soups from turkey chicken, ham or turkey bones, as well as any other kind of soup that It homemade."
"Are you screaming kidding?? "Homemade" soup does not contain canned nor condensed."
"This is delicious I didn't have any celery but I used a whole packet of Goya yellow rice instead of the white and it turned out perfect !"
"Oh My Gosh ...my 1st time ever making a turkey soup .followed directions and it came out so good .only problem I encountered was a way to separate the fat .lost a good clean pillow case but it was worth it . best tasteing turkey soup I ever had ( sorry mom )"
"We used up leftover turkey breast carcass from the Italian turkey breast slow cooker dinner. It turned out really great. I did used heart request cream of chicken and used long grain brown rice to try and make it it a little more heart healthy. It is very full of flavor and hearty. This is my husbands new favorite after turkey leftover meal."