Holiday Pecan Logs Recipe
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 tablespoon milk or half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Butter an 8-in. square pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. Combine confectioners sugar and milk powder; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, sugar and corn syrup; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in confectioners' sugar mixture, about a third at a time, until blended.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Continue stirring until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. Spread into prepared pan. Cool.
- Cut candy into four strips; cut each strip in half. Shape each into a log; wrap in waxed paper and twist ends. Freeze or refrigerate until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt caramels with milk, stirring often. Roll logs in caramel mixture, then in pecans. Wrap in waxed paper. Store at room temperature in airtight containers. Cut into slices with a serrated knife. Yield: about 3-1/4 pounds.
Reviews for Holiday Pecan Logs
Sort By :
"i tried this recipe seemed to be very easy to make but the nougat was very hard what should i do to correct"
"years ago this is the way pecan logs were made. the ones they sell now have a soft marshmallowy center. my dad and brother had been trying to find these but kept getting the other ones. Stuckey's made these. I made them for Christmas for dad and brother. they were in hog heaven! thanks"
"This was very good. I cut these into long, skinny rectangles before dipping in caramel. I followed the other reviewers advice and used the double boiler method for melting the caramels. These were kind of messy to make, but tasted very good. I did use a lot more pecans rolling these than the recipe stated (probably double the amount)."
"Well worth the time to make these. They're now part of my Christmas baking (one of 23 recipes). I remove it from the heat after it comes to a boil & before I add the confectioners' sugar ( it turned out a bit dry & crumbly the first time I tried it).I melt the caramels in a double boiler with 3 tbsp. millk instead of 1 tbsp. I had no luck using the microwave (it wouldn't stay warm long enough to roll them all & was too thick even when I added more milk)."
"Make your recipes easier to copy"