Give Jack Frost the cold shoulder by setting a comforting hot dish on the table. This hearty meal-in-one will satisfy even the biggest of appetites. Enjoy one casserole and freeze the other, or serve them both when entertaining. —Joy Sauers, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to prepared macaroni. Stir in tomatoes.
- Divide half of mixture between two greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over one casserole. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Sprinkle the second casserole with French-fried onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Originally published as Hearty Macaroni Casserole in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p65
Reviews for Hearty Macaroni Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review