- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, peppers, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, sugar, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 cups.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
"I made this to use in baked ziti and was very pleased with the results. I didn't have red bell pepper so I just increased the amount of green. I also added 1/4 cup of finely chopped carrots. No doubt this will be my go-to spaghetti sauce."
"I quadrupled this recipe, making 3 small changes..n 1 major.. substituting sweet italian sausage for gound beef...1 cup chardonnay for water (was out of favorite dry white wine..pinot grigio..), used equal parts yellow, red, n orange bell peppers (don't like green) and used my fresh basil n cuban oregano instead of dried and added 2 tbs of fresh flat leaf parsley.....WAS AWESOME!!!!! if I do say so. Made enough to freeze several batches for future use. Served over cheese stuffed ravioli n made beer bread while it was simmering."
"this is the recipe I use when makingsauce for 2 .very good"