"After years of experimenting, my mom has perfected her hearty spaghetti sauce recipe," notes Jennifer Shaw of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. "It's excellent served with a tossed salad and garlic bread." Although the recipe makes more than two servings, it freezes well.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, peppers, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, sugar, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Hearty Homemade Spaghetti Sauce in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p37
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 24, 2011
"this is the recipe I use when makingsauce for 2 .very good"