This quick-to-fix soup, sent in by Marcia Severson from Hallock, Minnesota, feeds 25 hungry tummies. The tender sirloin pieces and diced veggies offer satisfying appeal. Marcia Severson, Hallock, Minnesota
- 4 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 quarts hot water
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 8 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 cups tomato juice
- In two Dutch ovens, brown beef and onions in butter in batches; drain. Add the water, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato juice; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until the beef and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 32 servings (8 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Beef Soup in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p40
Reviews for Hearty Beef Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review