- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (about 1-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Shaved asparagus, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper flakes; cook and stir until onion is softened, 4-5 minutes. Add asparagus and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until asparagus is tender, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Place nuts, basil and lemon juice in a blender. Add asparagus mixture. Process until smooth and creamy. Return to saucepan. Stir in almond milk, tamari sauce and salt. Heat through, taking care not to boil soup. If desired, top with shaved asparagus. Yield: 4 servings (3 cups).
Reviews forHazelnut Asparagus Soup
"Very special and a little different. This would be great for entertaining or as a first course for your Easter dinner. You can easily substitute regular milk and soy sauce if you want to use ingredients you already have on hand."