- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain pasta and add to the pan; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Minestrone
"This is still simmering, but I tasted it and it's going to be a keeper. My tomato paste was too old, so I used a small can of tomato sauce. I only had 32 oz of beef stock, so used that amount. I don't like the texture of tomatoes, so used a large can of crushed tomatoes (which I figured made up for the "not quite enough" beef stock). I screwed up a week ago and ended up with some garbanzo beans and was going to use them, but chickened out and used kidney beans like the recipe calls for. It needed more salt, so I dumped in some garlic salt. 15 minutes isn't enough simmering time, the carrots aren't done. Next time I'll use canned mixed veggies - I don't like frozen green beans (texture issue again). I'm still giving it a "5" and will definitely make it again."
"easy to make and easy on the budget"
"I made this tonight and it was really easy and good. I left out the tomato paste because my dad doesn't like too much tomato. Also, I used low sodium beef broth, so I needed to add more salt. I like the idea of adding garlic. I would also like to try it with fresh veggies when I have time to chop them. I used white beans because I like those better than kidney beans. All in all, this was a quick and easy dinner on a cold night. I think it would taste even better if I had time for it to simmer longer. I am looking forward to tomorrow's leftovers!"
"Pretty good and easy"
"Made this twice now and it is very good. The only thing i do differently is add about a half jar of pasta sauce to it and let it simmer for a couple hours to develop the flavors. I like that its so easy and i dont have to chop stuff!"