Tired of the same old ham and scalloped potatoes? Try this yummy and comforting change of pace from our Test Kitchen. Creamy and cheesy, the hearty one-dish meal goes together in just minutes using convenient deli (or leftover) ham. TIP: YOU CAN FIND SPAETZLE IN THE PACKAGED POTATO AND RICE SECTION OF YOUR LOCAL GROCERY STORE.
- 3/4 cup uncooked spaetzle
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup cubed deli ham
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spaetzle according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Drain spaetzle; stir the spaetzle, broccoli, cheese, ham, mustard and pepper into the white sauce. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Spaetzle Bake in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p12
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Ham and Spaetzle Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review