Ham and Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, bring ham bone and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove ham bone. To broth, add the lentils, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, remove ham from bone; coarsely chop. Add the ham, sausage and parsley to soup; heat through. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Ham and Lentil Soup(3)
Sort By :
Wonderful recipe. Made some changes - used pork roast instead of ham, omitted the tomatoes & sausage. It still tasted great. Hubby raved over it, so I guess I'll be making more! Thanks for the recipe.
This was a great way to use my left over ham bone and ham. I added potatoes and some thyme to the recipe, but it was fabulous!
This soup is a new favorite in our house! It's fun to use other types of beans or barley for the lentils. Endless combinations.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >