- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread 3 tablespoons butter and all of the mayonnaise inside bread shells. Line bottom bread shell with ham; top with tomato and onion.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter; add eggs. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until edges are almost set.
- Spoon into bottom bread shell; top with cheese. Cover with bread top. Wrap in greased foil. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into serving-size pieces. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Ham 'n' Egg Sandwich
"Really enjoyed this recipe. I was short on time, so I put the ham and cheese on top of the eggs in the skillet and put it all on a hamburger bun with the tomato and onion. Would really be good made as directed with the french bread. Great for a crowd. Thanks for sharing!"
"there is way too much sodium,carbs,fat grams, cholesterol & anything else that you could think of. I am a diabetic & I can't eat that many carbs or even have that much sodium in one meal. I would be in the hospital with an overdose of carbs & high blood pressure in a New York minute. This sandwich is not for me. Why don't they have some low carb & low fat,sodium & low cholesterol recipes on this website for a change?"
"Oh my, How this brings back memories?.. I first had this breakfast sandwich when my parents and I lived in Verdun, France. My father was military so I was born an army brat. Back in the early 60?s my mother would make this with ?true? French bread. This has been a family and personal favorite for fifty years."
"Awesome recipe....BTW OHIO46, did you ever hear of a Fluffernutter?"
"I would like to know how to cut the unhealthy cholesterol and sodium from this because I have trouble with both. Maybe some low sodium ham? Could egg substitute be cooked in place of reg. eggs? Just pondering these possibilities to make it more healthy for me and my family."
"Several times a year we have weekend fly-ins for our hanglider husbands/wifes. This recipe is perfect for a crowd of hungry fliers. Many mornings us non-fliers spend making bacon,eggs,toast even BK casseroles ect....Never again! I love this recipe and can't wait to use it come flying season......Thanks :)"
"This is one of those times I shake my head in amazement and go "why didn't I think of that??" All those years spent on time consuming breakfasts for a crowd. Who knew...."
"OOPS! first time to rate anything...forgot to click on stars.LOL!"
"great sandwich yearound"
"I absolutely love recipes like this one,quick, easy and tasty. Like many have said ...food we usually have on hand.We love the combination and there is no need to go for drive though breakfast...just make it on a smaller bun for individual servings."