I've been making these sugar cookies for about 40 years for my children and now grandchildren and all their friends, too. I make about 20 trays a year to give away to trick-or-treaters. —Pamela Shank, Parkersburg, West Virginia
Featured In: 30 Favorite Halloween Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Yellow, orange, green and black paste food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape dough into two portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2 in. Halloween-shaped cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, shortening and enough water to reach spreading consistency. Tint frosting and decorate as desired. Let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Halloween Party Cutout Cookies in Halloween Bookazine 2015 2015, p95
Reviews forHalloween Party Cutout Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review