If you’re a fan of lamb, don’t pass up this Greek-style soup. Seasoned with classic flavors of rosemary, marjoram and mint, it will transport you straight to the Mediterranean!
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: plain Greek yogurt and crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook lamb until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, tomatoes, onion, wine, mint, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until flavors are blended.
- Serve with yogurt and feta cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Gyro Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2012, p65
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Gyro Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review